Palmyra is a fruit that grows on Palmyra palm. The fruit which measures 4 to 7 inches in diameter has a black husk and is borne in clusters. The jelly part of the fruit is covered with a thin, yellowish-brown skin. These are known to contain watery fluid inside the fleshy white body.
These seed sockets have been the inspiration behind certain sweets Sandesh called Jalbhara found in Bengal. In Kerala, it is called Pananungu whereas, in Tamil Nadu, it is called as Nungu. Ice apple in Indonesia is called Buah Lontar or Siwalan.
Some health benefits include :
1. The fruit contains vitamin A, B1, B2, B3, B6, C. It is rich in minerals such as Potassium, Iron, Calcium, Phosphorus and Zinc are found in the fruit.
2. Good for the skin – It is also known to have anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant properties. It is known to cure inflammatory conditions of the skin.
3. It has been used in the treatment of nausea and vomiting.
4. Helps to relieve digestive problems – Palm fruit is a natural remedy for several stomach ailments and digestive problems. It helps in relieving constipation and in promoting normal bowel movements. It also helps in preventing acidity and stomach ulcers.
5. Cools the body – The fruit is a natural coolant for the body and helps to keep the body cool during summer. It also helps in preventing a number of heat related problems like prickly heat, dehydration, dry skin, kidney failure and hair loss. (Also read –> Health Benefits of Kokum)
6. Keeps you hydrated – Helps in hydration. Not only does it hydrate your body, but it also helps to replace the nutrients and electrolytes that are lost due to excessive sweating. Ice apple satisfies your thirst and provides you with the energy to stay active throughout the day. (Also read –> Benefits Of Cucumber Juice)
7. Help to reduce obesity – Ice apple is a low calorie fruit and is thus beneficial for people trying to lose weight. The fruit is rich in water content, which helps keeps your stomach fuller for a long period of time. This in turn helps in preventing frequent snacking, which is important in maintaining a healthy weight.
8. Helps to prevent anaemia
9. Have cholesterol – lowering properties
10. Prevention of Diabetes – Due to the low Glycemic Index of palm sugar, it is a healthy substitute for artificial sugar thus helps to prevent the onset of diabetes. Palm sugar consumption has been reported not to cause a sudden spike in the blood sugar levels. However, diabetes patients should consider consuming palm sugar at a very low level.
(Also read –> Amazing Benefits Of Palm Sugar)