On the festival of colours, add a healthy, sweet twist to your family get-togethers and visits. Replace unhealthy snacks and calorie-laden foods with a nutritious almond thandai in this Holi festival.
Thandai is a traditional cooling drink in India which is full of flavours and gives an instant boost of energy. Thandai is made with the mix of dry nuts, seeds, fragrant spices, and milk. This recipe is very easy and is loaded with nutrition. It has tremendous health benefits.
This vegan, wonderful, refreshing beverage made with almond milk, spices and protein-rich seeds, is really healthy, easy to make, with no refined sugar. I have used maple syrup as sweetener, but you can also use honey, date syrup or stevia. (Click Here–> Homemade Dates Syrup Recipe)
Ingredients of Thandai
For the powder mix:
1/2 tsp of cardamom powder or 2-3 green cardamom (elaichi)
1 tbsp of poppy seeds (khus khus)
1 tsp of fennel seeds (saunf)
5-6 black peppercorns
3/4 tsp saffron
1 tsp roasted watermelon seeds or sunflower seeds
Chopped almonds – ½ cup
A pinch of nutmeg powder
For the drink:
4 cups of almond milk (you can also use any other milk – dairy or non dairy)
Maple syrup as sweetener
1 tsp rose syrup (optional)
Pinch of Saffron
How to Make Almond Milk Thandai
1. Take all the ingredients in a grinder and grind it into a fine powder.
2. In a saucepan, boil the milk with a few strands of saffron for few minutes.
3. Add the ground powder and mix it well. Boil for another 5 minutes.
4. Switch off the flame and allow it to cool. Add maple syrup as per taste and 1tsp of rose water. Strain the mixture to remove any particles to make a smooth milk.
5. Cool and let it refrigerate for a minimum of one hour to let the spices infuse in the drink.
6. Give it a mix before serving. Pour in glasses. Top with crushed pistachios, and a few saffron strands. Serve chilled.
(Also try out –> Watermelon Rose Cooler, Dairy-free Badam Milk Recipe, Refreshing Fennel Seeds (Saunf) Drink, 2 Delightful Fruit Punch Recipes For Your Next Home Party, Guava Punch Recipe, Pineapple Masala Drink Recipe)