Poha is an easy, delicious and healthy breakfast recipe. Poha in english is commonly known as beaten rice or flattened rice. Made with onions, potatoes and seasoning like chillies, lemon and curry leaves. It makes a great mid snack too.
Besides being tasty, it is a nutritious dish. The high fiber content of the flattened rice makes you feel full for a longer period of time. And, it also helps in maintaining bowel health, lowers cholesterol, and also helps in weight loss.
Ingredients For The Recipe
1 Cup Poha (Flattened rice)
1 Tbsp Oil
1/8 tsp Asafetida
1 tsp Mustard seeds
1/2 Cup Onions, finely chopped
8-10 Curry leaves
2-3 whole red chillies
1/2 Cup Potatoes (diced small)
1 tsp Green chillies, finely chopped
1 Tbsp Lemon juice
1 Tbsp Coriander leaves, chopped
1/2 tsp Turmeric
Salt, as required
Steps to Make Poha
- Put poha in a colander and wash properly, but don’t let let it soak too long in the water. Leave in the colander to drain out completely.
- Heat the oil in a pan and then add the asafetida, mustard seeds, curry leaves along with whole red chillies.
- when they starts to sputter, add onions. When onions are light brown, add potatoes.
- Add the turmeric, green chillies and sauté over low heat till the potatoes are cooked properly.
- Add salt and then add poha and mix well. Saute till mixed properly.
- Turn off the heat, and mix in the lemon juice and chopped coriander leaves.
- Transfer on to a serving dish, garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.