Sweet potato chickpea salad – a simple and healthy filling vegan and gluten-free lunch or dinner; made with red onions, mixed greens, parsley, and a tangy lemon dressing.
Ingredients for Sweet Potato Chickpea Salad
2 large sweet potatoes
½ medium red onions, sliced
425 gm chickpeas, rinsed and drained
½ cup olive oil
¼ cup lemon juice
2 tablespoon garlic, minced
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon paprika
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon cayenne
Salt, to taste
Black pepper, to taste
1 cup mixed greens
¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1-2 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
1) Preheat the oven to 425ºF.
2) Cut the sweet potatoes in small cubes and transfer on one half of a non-stick baking sheet.
3) Peel and slice the onion and set aside.
4) Add the chickpeas to the other half of the baking sheet.
5) In a bowl, combine the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, cumin, paprika, cinnamon, cayenne, salt, and pepper and mix well.
6) Pour half of the dressing over the sweet potatoes and chickpeas and mix with your hands until well-coated. Keep the chickpeas and sweet potatoes separated as much as possible.
7) Then, add the onions to the baking sheet. Make sure everything is spread out evenly.
8) Bake for 30 minutes, until the sweet potatoes are tender. Use tongs to stir halfway through. Let cool for 20 minutes.
9) Place the greens in a large bowl. Top with the roasted chickpeas, sweet potatoes, and onion.
10) Add the parsley, cilantro, sesame seeds and remaining dressing in it and stir to combine.
Serve and enjoy!