This recipe of okra is delicious and healthy with the goodness of blend of various spices like – cumin, turmeric, fennel seeds and garam masala. As we all know that spices have several medicinal properties. Spices fight inflammation and reduce damage to your body’s cells, because spices are rich in phytochemicals, which are healthful plant chemicals. (Also read –> Fennel Seeds For Weight Loss)
Okra’s high levels of vitamin A, B vitamins (B1, B2, B6), and vitamin C, and traces of zinc and calcium, make it an ideal vegetable to eat and especially during pregnancy. Okra also serves as a supplement for fiber and folic acid. This helps prevent birth defects like spina bifida and can even stop constipation during pregnancy. (Read more about–> Okra – The Slimy Super Food)
How to Make Bhindi or Okra Less Slimy
The vegetable exudes a substance called mucilage which makes it slimy. So how do you make it less slimy?
1) Wash and pat dry the okra before chopping. If you try to cut the okra without pat drying it will be very slimy.
2) Wash it and then put all the okras on a paper towel (in single layer) and let them dry for some time and then pat dry each okra with a paper towel.
It would be good to wash the okra and then let it air dry overnight. That way you wouldn’t need to pat dry each bhindi separately. You will be good to use the bhindi in the morning straight away.
3) Fry the okra in little oil before adding it to the curry. Stir fry the okra till all the sliminess disappeared. This takes around 15 minutes on medium-low flame.
Ingredients For Okra Recipe
250 gm okra
1 tsp cumin (whole)
1 tsp fennel seeds
1 cup onion, chopped
1 tsp grated ginger
¼ tsp turmeric powder
A pinch of red chilli powder
½ cup chopped tomatoes
½ tsp garam masala powder
½ tsp chopped green chillies
2 ½ tbsp olive oil
Salt, as per taste
Method To Make Okra Recipe
1) Wash and pat dry each okras with a paper towel. Then remove the head and little bit from the tail before chopping. Then chop it into rounds. Set aside.
2) Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a pan on medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add the chopped okras to the pan. Let is cook on medium heat for 10 minutes, then lower the heat to low and cook 5 more minutes. Stir often. Remove the pan from the heat and transfer the fried okra in a bowl.
3) To the pan, now add the remaining 1 and 1/2 tablespoons oil. Once the oil is hot, add cumin seeds, fennel seeds and let them sputter.
4) Then, add chopped onion and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes until soft. Then add the ginger and green chili and cook for few minutes.
5) Add chopped tomatoes and cook for 5-6 minutes until soft and mushy.
6) Then add the spices – coriander powder, turmeric powder, red chili powder and salt. Mix the spices well with the masala.
7) Then add a tablespoon of water at this point so that the spices do not burn. Stir well.
8) Add the cooked okra to the pan and mix well. Cook for 5 minutes and then add sprinkle with garam masala.
Serve it and you can enjoy Okra masala with steamed rice or chapatties.
Quick Tip – How To Make Garam masala?
You can easily get garam masala powder from the nearby market. But, in case you don’t get it, you can easily make it at your home.
Garam masala is an aromatic spice blend, used in various vegetarian and meat dishes. Slightly dry roast green cardamom, cinnamon stick, black cardamom, cloves, bay leaves, fennel seeds, nutmeg, and mace, without burning. Then transfer to a plate and allow it to cool. Then add all these spices in a mixer and then powder it finely. Then store this aromatic garam masala powder in an air tight container.