Tomato rice is a healthy and flavoured rice recipe prepared with rice and spiced tomato masala. It is an ideal one pot meal or lunch box recipe which can also be served for breakfast and dinner.
The recipe is very healthy due to its ingredients. Tomatoes are the major dietary source of the antioxidant lycopene, which has been linked to many health benefits, including reduced risk of heart disease and cancer. They are also a great source of vitamin C, potassium, folate, and vitamin K. (Also try out –> Vegan Cauliflower Rice – A Healthy Recipe)
For freshly ground spice powder
2 Dried red chilies
1 teaspoon Coriander seeds
1 ½ teaspoons Chana dal (split bengal gram)
½ gram Urad dal (split, skinless black gram)
A pinch of Asafoetida
For tomato rice recipe
2 cups cooked rice
½ teaspoon Mustard seeds
½ cup Onion chopped
8 – 10 Curry leaves
1 small Green chilli, chopped finely
2 medium or 1 cup Tomato pureed
Salt to taste
Oil, for cooking
Prepare the spice powder
1) Take spice powder ingredients except for asafoetida in a small pan.
2) Dry roast on medium heat with stirring continuously till dal is brown and you will get nice aroma from coriander seeds.
3) Let them cool completely. Grind them into a fine powder using a spice grinder.
Making tomato rice recipe
1) Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat. Once hot, add mustard seeds. Allow it to sputter.
2) Then add chopped onions, green chilies, curry leaves and salt. Cook till onion gets light brown.
3) Add pureed tomato. Cook till all the moisture from tomato evaporates and oil starts to leave from the sides.
4) Add prepared spice powder. Mix well and cook for a minute.
5) Add cooked rice. Mix gently till incorporated well. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes to absorb all masala.
6) Finally, serve tomato rice with raita of your choice. (Try out this raita recipe –> Healthy Snakegourd Raita)