Although ash gourd is widely used, you may not know that it helps us to fight many ailments and prevents many more. Ash gourd in other words called as winter melon, it has a good amount of minerals and Vitamins. A good amount of ash gourd in your diet will help in curing thyroid disorders, will also help in reducing cough and cold.
It is a highly nutritive vegetable with vitamin B and C, along with crucial minerals that the body needs like calcium, potassium, iron and phosphorous and also fibers. It’s an excellent source of vitamin B1 (thiamine), a good source of vitamin B3 (niacin). Its high potassium content makes this a good vegetable for maintaining a healthy blood pressure. Be sure to include this vegetable in your weght-loss diet.
Ash gourd is alkaline in nature and has cooling and neutralizing effect on stomach acids and is effectively used for treating digestive ailments like – hyperacidity, dyspepsia and ulcers. Ash gourd juice is a popular home remedy for peptic ulcers. Ash gourd is also used to treat diabetes.
Inexpensive and versatile, ash gourd is a healthy vegetable that should definitely be a part of any nutritious diet.
Now let’s get back to the recipe
Ash gourd Coconut Curry
The curry has a strong flavor of coconut as well the roasted spices which gives out a wonderful flavor and aroma. It is healthy and delicious with lots of nutritional benefits.
500 grams Ash gourd
1 teaspoon Turmeric powder
Salt , to taste
Olive oil , for cooking
To be roasted and ground to paste
4 Dry red chillies
2 tablespoons Fresh coconut, grated
30 grams Tamarind
1/2 teaspoon Fenugreek Seeds
1/2 teaspoon Cumin seeds
2 teaspoons Coriander seeds
2 teaspoons Sesame seeds
1 tablespoon Jaggery
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon Mustard seeds
2 sprig Curry leaves, roughly torn
1 Dry red chillies
How to make Ash Gourd Coconut Curry
1) To begin, cook the ash gourd in the pressure cooker with little water, turmeric powder and salt for just 1 whistle. Release the pressure naturally.
2) Soak the tamarind in hot water for about 15 minutes. Squeeze and keep the water aside.
3) Dry roast the spices and other ingredients in a pan, except the coconut. Grind all of it along with coconut to a smooth paste.
4) In same pressure cooker which has the ash gourd add the paste and little water and give it stir. Keep the Ash Gourd Coconut Curry on the medium heat.
5) Adjust the seasoning and texture if required. Once done properly, transfer it in a bowl.
6) For the seasoning, heat oil in a small skillet and add mustard seeds and let it crackle. After the mustard seeds have crackled add the curry leaves and red chillies.
7) Tun off the heat after the red chillies have darkened and add it on top of the Ash Gourd Coconut Curry and serve.
(You may also love this recipe –>>>> Healthy and Delicious Snake gourd Raita)