Pizza is probably one of the most loved foods on the Earth. However, it is not one of the healthiest foods. But, here you will learn how to make the healthy, delicious pizza with gluten-free chickpea crust. If you have gluten sensitivity, then you don’t have to worry! Because this one is completely gluten-free!
Chickpeas are very healthy. They are loaded with vitamins, minerals, fiber and protein. They are beneficial for weight management and blood sugar control. Including chickpeas in your diet regularly will support your health and may reduce your risk of developing chronic diseases, such as heart disease and cancer.
As I said earlier in my previous article Chickpeas and Menopause, chickpeas are really beneficial for post-menopausal women, as they help to get relief from post menopausal symptoms.
They are affordable and easy to find at most grocery stores, or you can also prepare easily at your home. You can include them in various dishes, and they make an excellent meat alternative in vegetarian and vegan meals. Furthermore, chickpeas are delicious and certainly worth including in your diet if you want to reap their health benefits.
Chickpea flour, also known as gram flour or besan, is made from grounded chickpeas. Pretty simple, huh! This type of flour is frequently used in Indian cuisines. And by replacing white flour crust with chickpea flour crust, you will increase the nutritional value of your pizza.
Vegan Pizza With Chickpea Crust Recipe
How to make chickpea flour
1. Add chickpeas to a high power food processor or blender
2. Blend for 20-30 seconds
Ingredients For the crust
1 cup chickpea flour
1/3 cup water (or more if needed)
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp turmeric
a pinch of pepper
Ingredients For the pizza
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 250 g mushrooms
- Broccoli (Vitamin C, folate, and fiber are just a few of the broccoli’s benefits. So top your pizza with this cruciferous veggie for crunch, flavor, and health!)
- Baby Spinach (Spinach on the top of pizza? This bakes perfectly in the oven and goes great)
- 1/2 red or yellow bell pepper
- 1 onion, 2-3 garlic cloves
- 1 tomato
- 1 tbsp of soy sauce
- few fresh basil leaves
- olive oil for cooking
1) Prepare the crust
Preheat the oven to 180C.
In a bowl mix chickpea flour, water, 1 tbsp of olive oil, salt, pepper, and turmeric.
Stir well until you get a smooth mixture. This won’t be like regular dough that you can roll on the baking sheet. The chickpea flour mixture will be rather liquid, and you have to spread it on baking paper or silicone baking mat in a round shape. If you’re using baking paper, sprinkle a bit olive oil on it before you spread on the dough otherwise the dough will stick to the paper.
Place the crust into the oven. Bake for about 15 min until the edges are very lightly golden.
2) In the meantime, cook the mushrooms. Heat a frying pan and sprinkle it with some olive oil. Chop the onion and mushrooms. First, add finely chopped garlic, then add onions in it. Cook the onion for about 2 minutes, then add the mushrooms, broccoli and soy sauce. Cook for about 7 minutes until most of the water has been removed from the mushrooms.
3) Remove the crust from the oven. Spread it with the tomato paste, leaving a 1/2-inch border, put on the cooked mushrooms with onions. Chop the bell pepper and tomatoes, spinach and spread on the pizza. Put pizza back into the oven, bake for around 10 minutes until tomatoes and bell pepper are soft.
4) Remove pizza from the oven and while it’s still hot, spread on basil leaves.
Serve Hot and Enjoy!