Palmyra is a fruit that grows on Palmyra palm. The fruit which measures 4 to 7 inches in diameter has a black husk and is borne in clusters. The jelly part of the fruit is covered with a thin, yellowish-brown skin. These are known to contain watery fluid inside the fleshy white body.
These seed sockets have been the inspiration behind certain sweets Sandesh called Jalbhara found in Bengal. In Kerala, it is called Pananungu whereas, in Tamil Nadu, it is called as Nungu. Ice apple in Indonesia is called Buah Lontar or Siwalan.
Some health benefits include :
1. The fruit contains vitamin A, B1, B2, B3, B6, C. It is rich in minerals such as Potassium, Iron, Calcium, Phosphorus and Zinc are found in the fruit.
2. Good for the skin. It is also known to have anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant properties. It is known to cure inflammatory conditions of the skin.
3. It has been used in the treatment of nausea and vomiting.
4. It has also been used as a laxative.
5. May help in treating ulcers and liver problems.
6. The fruit is a natural coolant for the body.
7. Helps in hydration.
8. Helpful in preventing obesity.
9. Helps to prevent anaemia.
10. Have cholesterol – lowering properties.
11. Have a low glycemic index, thus can be consumed by diabetics.
EAT HEALTHY STAY FIT