Junk food is accessible almost everywhere in the world. It is one of the leading causes of obesity and can increase your risk of developing diabetes.
New research now suggests junk food can negatively affect your memory. Researchers have discovered high levels of insulin caused by consuming too much junk food, or a bad diet, may affect the brain. Prior research already confirmed bad diets are linked to dementia due to high blood pressure and cholesterol disrupting the blood supply to the brain, but research now demonstrates it can also prevent brain cells from responding properly to insulin. Too much fatty foods and sweets can increase an individual’s insulin level causing muscles, fat and liver cells to no longer respond to the hormone. Like other organs, subjecting the brain to a significant amount of insulin can cause it to stop responding to the hormone, restricting our ability to think and create new memories.
How junk food affects the way you think?
1) Junk foods can have a negative impact on your memory.
2) Unhealthy diet interferes with the neurotransmitters in your brain, increasing the feeling of depression and anger.
3) Unhealthy food is low in vitamins and minerals,when your brain is starved of these resources, brain stops functioning properly.
4) Sugary food may give you a quick boost of energy,but soon will be replaced with lethargy and fatigue.This can affect your ability to think.
5) Junk food may taste good, but after your brain releases dopamine,the body will crave for more and you will be thinking about eating again.
Nutrition strategies for mood maintenance
There’s more to mood maintenance than eating the right foods. The framework for good mood hygiene begins with implementing some basic nutrition strategies:
Eat often enough
According to research published by the University of Illinois, eating regular meals and snacks at the same times every day helps to keep your blood sugar levels steady.Eating at regular intervals helps to ensure that your body has a continuous source of fuel, and this may assist in keeping your mood stable. If you feel like your blood sugar might be dipping frequently, talk to your doctor. This could be a sign of hypoglycemia. Hypoglycemia is a health condition that causes people to need to eat frequently. (Also read –> Healthy Snack Ideas For Diabetes)
Don’t skip meals
This is a bad idea. Skipping meals actually makes your body less able to assimilate food, and you are more liable to overeat at the next meal. If you keep yourself away from getting too hungry, you may be able to avoid a bad mood.
(Also read –> Health Risk Of Unhealthy Processed Foods)