Hygrophila spinosa T Ander, belonging to the family Acanthaceae, is a promising medicinal plant with great economic potential. This plant is believed to be a native of India and is grown generally in the swamp areas under tropical or subtropical climate.
The medicinal value of H.spinosa has been appreciated in the ancient medical literature. The plant contains terpenoids, alkaloids, flavonoids, and is traditionally known as an aphrodisiac, renal tonic, and for its health-promoting properties. The role of traditional medicines in resolving health problems is invaluable on a global level. Medicinal plants continue to provide valuable therapeutic agents, in both modern and traditional medicine.
The plant contains various groups of phytoconstituents, namely, phytosterols, fatty acids, minerals, polyphenols, proanthocyanins, mucilage, alkaloids, enzymes, amino acids, carbohydrates, hydrocarbons, flavonoids, terpenoids, vitamins, and glycosides.
Oil extracted from the entire plant has a huge amount of antibacterial properties which is helpful in various kind of illness.
The leaf extract from Kulekhara/ Hygrophila spinosa is also used to cure diarrhoea, inflammation, pain abdominal disorders and anaemia.
The seeds of this plant also have medicinal values and have been used in the treatment of several blood disorders and urinary problems.
The flowers of this plant are generally purple in colour and are commonly used for medicinal purpose.
Effects of Hygrophila spinosa / Kulekhara Leaf
The various beneficial actions of the Kulekhara plant has been researched and studied in detail. Some of the important benefits are:
1) It has anti-inflammatory, analgesic and antipyretic action.
2) Hematopoietic effect – The leaves and stems of the Kulekhara plant have been used to treat anaemia, which denotes deficiency of iron in the blood is a condition suffered globally by people of all ages. It is known to increase the haemoglobin in the blood.
A study was conducted on rodents and it was found to increase their level of red blood cell and WBC count.
3) Antioxidant activity – The herbs shows significant antioxidant properties which are highly beneficial for health. Antioxidants are also known to protect the body from damage caused by harmful molecules called free radicals. Experts believe this damage is a factor in the development of blood vessel disease (atherosclerosis), cancer, and other conditions.
4) Antibacterial and Anthelmintic action – The leaves and other extracts of the Kulekhara plant is highly antibacterial in nature.
5) Boost immunity – Antibiotic-like herbs are also known as astringent, which act as natural blood cleansers. They support the immune system and help to protect the body from certain harmful bacteria.
EAT HEALTHY STAY FIT